How to choose your laptop
Tips to buy a good laptop
Tablets and smartphones are very popular but most of us realize that from typing a paper to watching videos or playing games is easier and better to be done on a laptop. So, from this point of view it is important to know those tips to buy a good laptop.
If you have serious work or want to play at home or on the road, the best tool for doing that is a laptop. It is versatile enough to run a lot of demanding applications, is also very compact and you can carry with you where you go.
You don’t have any idea on what laptop should you get or how to choose your laptop?Here’s some tips for you!
Of course, the variety of sizes, features and prices is very large, so choosing the right laptops is a big challenge. For a right call, follow a few important steps.
When you are in a hurry, these are most important things to take into consideration when you are buying a laptop:
- 5 to 14 inch screens give you the best balance between usability and portability. Laptops with larger screens are fine, but if you are a person who doesn’t travel much and of course the smaller models are suited for kids;
- If your budget is over 600$ you should have at least those features :
- CORE i5 CPU;
- 1920X1080 screen;
- At least 8GB of RAM;
- SSD storage instead of a hard drive.
- If you’re taking the laptop everywhere you’ll need an 8+ hours of battery life;
- Only if you want to use your laptop as a tablet, you should buy a 2 in 1, otherwise , the better choice is a clamshell notebook;
- Don’t forget that Chromebooks are very good for children, and Windows laptops or MacBooks offers a lot of functionality and it’s only your taste that decides which platform you prefer.
Which platform should I pick: Mac, Windows or Chrome OS?
Not a easy question, and not an easy answer. You should know something about every platform.
- Windows 10
Windows is the most flexible operating system and it appears on many more models and makes than Chrome OS or than Mac OS X.
Windows notebooks start with a price under $150 and gets up to several thousand dollars and provides a wide range of features from touch screens to fingerprint readers an up to dual graphics chips.
Windows 10 is the latest version of Microsoft OS and provides a some improvements over Windows 7 and 8, including the ability to switch between tablet and desktop modets, a renewed Start menu, with live tiles and very powerful Cortana digital assistant.
It was launched in July 2015, and since then has added a lot of improvements such as the ability to use follow-up questions with Cortana, search your email using natural language and also to use your stylus to scribble almost anywhere.
- Apple macOS High Sierra
These days, all macBooks come with Apple’s latest desktop system, macOS High Sierra. It offers similar functionality to Windows 10, but with a different interface that substitutes an apps dock at the bottom of the screen for Microsofts Start menu and taskbar.
Instead of Cortane, Mac users get Siri as digital assistant. Also, from Mac system you can perform transactions with Apple Pay, you can take calls or text from your phone and you can unlock your laptop with an Apple Watch. But, macOS is not made for touch because MacBook comes without touch screen.
- Chrome OS
This OS is found on Chromebooks , such as Samsung Chromebook 3, which are not so expensive. Google’s OS is simple and secure but is more limited than operating systems such as Windows and macOS.
Chrome’s interface looks a lot like Windows , has an application menu, a desktop and the ability to drag windows around, but main app used is Chrome browser. The downside of that is that a lot of “web apps” don’t work too good offline. But this is changing, and the high-end Google PixelBook can now run Android apps .
However, if you need a device for websurfing, ckecking emails, navigating social networks or chating online, Chromebooks are highly portable and they offer good battery life at low prices.
They are popular among schools and parents, because they are hard for kids to infect with malware and they are more functional than most tablets.
In the same time, if you need this device for professional purposes, there you must have on your mind what are the requirements in order to know how to choose your laptop. For example, if you need that laptop for automotive industry, for automotive diagnosis, you must know some important factors, please take a look at PITCAR in order to read more content and info about this.
If you decide for a Chromebook, look for one with at least 4GB of RAM and 16GB of storage and if you plan to use Android apps, pay extra for a 2-in-1.
2.You have to decide if you want 2-in-1
Many of PC laptops fall into the category of 2-in-1s because they can switch between clamshell mode, tablet mode or other positions in between such as tent or stand modes. They usually come in two different styles: detachables and flexible.
The detachables ones have screens that come off the keyboard entirely.
The flexible ones have hinges that bend back 360 degrees in order to change modes. But, if you don’t need to use your laptop as a slate, you’ll usually get more performance for your money with a traditional clamshell laptop than from a 2-in-1.
However, if you decide for a 2-in-1, take into consideration that bendables ussually have a better battery life than detachable ones.
Choose the Right Size
Before looking at specifications and pricing you need to think how portable you want to be your laptop.
Usually , the laptops are categorized by the display size:
- 11 to 12 inches – the thinnest and lightest laptops have 11 to 12 inch screens and usually weigh around 2.5 to 3.5 pounds;
- 13 to 14 inches – it’s the size that provides the best balance of portability and usability, especially if you get a laptop with a weight under 4 pounds;
- 15 inches – it’s the most popular size for laptops and it’s weight around 4.5 to 6.5 pounds. If you’re not planning to carry it around too often and you want a larger screen, this is the size you should consider to get;
- 17 to 18 inches – if the laptop stays all day long, every day on your desk, then this is the size you need and it will provide you with the kind of power that you need to play high ended games or to do workstation level productivity.
Good luck and if you need our help, please feel free to send us your message.